Habitat for Humanity launches Tiny House project
The plan – to build one 450- to 500-square-foot home a year for the next three years – will serve a demographic the organization couldn’t help much in the past: those with very low incomes who are ineligible for other services.
“It’s targeted for a specific population: singles or couples that are generally disabled and older,” said Shirley Kennerly, family services coordinator for the Cabarrus affiliate. “Folks like Barb (new tiny homeowner) I’ve had to turn away because they don’t make enough money to qualify for our mortgages."
When she moves into her new, 486-square-foot home in July, her mortgage will be less than half the cost of her current, $500-per-month rent living in transitional housing now. Instead, she’ll pay $207 a month and have a utility bill averaging $40.
The typical Habitat house is about 1,250 square feet, has a floor plan that includes three or four bedrooms and is built with a family in mind. Interest-free mortgages make payments top out around $500 per month.
In comparison, the tiny house floor plan will be around 500 square feet, have one bedroom and be built for one or two people, maximum.
Habitat for Humanity of Cabarrus County broke ground on Gorman’s house, in the Carver community, in February. The land, donated by the city of Kannapolis, is enough for two more tiny homes.
Features of the Habitat Cabarrus Tiny House
- Built to SystemVision energy standards with an estimated heating/cooling cost of $16/month using a 15.5 Seer ducted mini-split HVAC unit
- Super-efficient one-story design with using space-saving features such as pocket doors
- Universal design features such as 36” door openings, 60” radius and T-turns for wheel chair access, zero step front and side entrances, ADA shower and toilet grab bars, ADA stove
- Allergy-free flooring throughout the home (Low VOC Laminate and Ceramic Tile)
- Low maintenance exterior – fibrous cement siding, vinyl soffit, metal fascia, gutter guards
- 3rd-party built furniture features scaled to tiny house dimensions